Smoke Damage Repair San Diego Company advice on Fireplace Safety Guidelines
Temperatures in most of the states drop during the winter season. It makes you want to enjoy some firewood burning in the fireplace at your house, but you don’t want to ignore the hazards related to the burning Firewood while you’re warming up and cozying up in your comfort zone. San Diego Flood Restoration is a Smoke Damage Repair San Diego Company and offers the best services regarding heating systems for your homes. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), more than a third of house fires in the U.S. occur due to mismanaged heating systems, fireplaces, and chimneys. These are some of the safety tips that will help you prevent accidents caused due to mismanagement of fireplaces, heating systems, and ducts.
Fireplace safety tips
- Make sure you hire a professional to inspect the fireplace at your house before starting the season to remove any blockage or obstruction within the chimney, such as birds’ nests, etc.
- Make sure it is a qualified professional who installs chimney connectors in your house.
- Ensure inspecting your chimney-cap regularly to repair/replace it in case of any damage.
- Keep flammable objects like newspapers, books, and furniture away from the fireplace.
- A fire extinguisher must be kept close by within the room at all times.
- Only dry, seasoned wood, cut to the correct length, must be used for better performance.
- You must install mesh metal screen doors/glass fireplace doors to prevent embers from shooting out of the fireplace.
- Keep the children and pets away from the fireplace at a safe distance.
- Always supervise the fire and never leave it burning when going to sleep or leaving home.
- Please do not leave the fireplace unsupervised while it’s operating.
- You only have to shut the damper once the embers have cooled off.
- Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms (CO) must be installed outside each room.
When starting a fire:
- Clean the fireplace before loading more Firewood for a new fire and cool down before cleaning. Because building a fire on ash will create more smoke.
- The ashes must be contained within a tightly sealed metal container and disposed of at least 10 meters away from lawns, buildings, dry leaves, etc., which can catch fire.
- Once you open the damper, inspect the chimney to confirm that the top is open to exhaust smoke.
- Do not use flammable liquids to start your fire! Use some crumpled paper on the grate and cover it with kindling.
- Add the Firewood after the kindling starts burning correctly. Remember never to overload your fireplace with too much Firewood as it can damage the chimney.
- Do not burn plastics or other toxic materials in the fireplace.
For professional fire damage cleaning services, contact San Diego Flood Restoration!
Safety measures prevent most of the accidents, yet accidents can still happen. Fire or even just smoke alone can severely damage a house; it’s essential to restore the home as soon as possible and contact San Diego Restoration Company, a Smoke Damage Repair San Diego Company the best services. If soot and smoke sit on a surface for a long time, it damages the house much. The fire restoration services that we provide include highly trained professionals equipped with the best restoration equipment to restore soot and fire damages to your home with the best techniques. Contact San Diego Flood Restoration by calling (888) 578-5777 for professional help regarding restoration and cleaning services to maintain and install a fireplace, heating systems, or chimneys.